Home    |    About Us    |    Online Refills    |    Prescription Plans    |    Medical Equipment    |    Contact Us  

R & J Drugs has been a part of the medical community in western Orangeburg County for over 55 years. Mr. Heyward Robinson and Mr. Charles Jumper purchased Williamson’s Drug Store from Mr. Robinson’s Aunt and Uncle, Mr. Carlyle and Mrs. Blanche Williamson, in 1953. Hence the name R & J Drugs was given to the pharmacy to reflect the new ownership, taking the first initial of each owner’s last name.

The Store was bought in 1965 by Service Drugs Inc, owned by Paul Owen, Dickey Preacher, and Clyde McManus. A year later, Mr. Owen and his wife Maxine, bought the shares of Mr. Preacher and Mr. McManus. Dr. Paul, as he was known to all of the locals, and Mrs. Owen owned and operated R & J Drugs as sole owners until 1975. In May of 1974, Bernard Gunter, who was a native of North, was given the opportunity to come back home and to serve as a Staff Pharmacist. The Owens gave Mr. Gunter the opportunity the next year to purchase one-third interest in Service Drugs Inc. In the fall of 1976, R & J Drugs was expanded from 1100 sq ft to 3300 sq ft. to better serve our loyal patients. The year 1980 brought another change in the proportion of ownership with Mr. Gunter given the opportunity to purchase shares to a maximum of forty-nine percent of the corporation. The ownership remained the same until September 1991.

That month, Mr. Gunter and Charles Thompson, a pharmacist and successful owner of four pharmacies in the Orangeburg area, purchased the shares of Dr. Paul and Mrs. Maxine Owen. The year 1996 brought a change in location for R & J Drugs. A new complex was built with 5200 sq ft of space for the Pharmacy and a Drive Thru window and ample parking to take care of our growing business. The complex also featured a Physician’s Office and a Video Store. In 2002, Bernard Gunter bought the shares of Charles Thompson to bring the ownership to one shareholder. In June of 2004, the corporation of H & M Healthcare was formed by Heather G. Hair (Bernard’s daughter) and Kyle McHugh. H & M Healthcare bought the assets of Service Drugs Inc which included R & J Drugs. At the present, H & M Healthcare owns and operates R & J Drugs.

As you may observe from this brief history, the owners have continued to use the name R & J Drugs because of its heritage and recognition in the community. This history would not have been made if not for the leadership and foresight of its owners. One of the greatest assets of the Pharmacy has been its employees. R & J Drugs has been blessed by many loyal employees and part-time students who have helped make our Pharmacy a fixture in the community and creating a family atmosphere. A heartfelt thanks to everyone who has played a part in the success of R & J Drugs.

Our Staff

Heather Hair - Owner, Manager
Tavia Fogle - Owner, Pharmacist
Joann Martin - Administrative Assistant

Pharmacy

Joni Sane - Pharmacist
Shari Gee - Pharmacist
Ashley Churchwell - Pharmacy Technician
Brittany Livingston - Certified Pharmacy Technician
Casey Bolin - Pharmacy Technician
David Linder - Pharmacy Technician
Kim Carr - Certified Pharmacy Technician
Lindsey Williams - Pharmacy Technician
Rose Burgess - Certified Pharmacy Technician
Susan Gleaton - Front End Manager, Certified Pharmacy Technician

Home Medical Equipment

Rebecca Gainey - HME Billing Specialist
Teresa Balthaser - HME Specialist

Sales Associates

Danielle Hoffman - Customer Service
Wendi Storey - Customer Service